Egyptian Paste (aka Faience)

Experimenting in all facets of Egyptian paste, mixing clay, construction techniques, firing solutions, and finishing ie. cold working is in the scope of our discussion. Perhaps we will have time to get around to some practical uses of Egyptian paste, but mostly research into what works will with this media and what does not.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Egyptian Paste Bead Firing


Here is what I use to fire Egyptian paste beads in my electric kiln. This apparatus, a "bead island", is made of porcelain or any high fired clay for that matter; I like the B-mix clay body for this piece of kiln furniture, because it forms a thin point very easily. Once fired the bead island can be used many times. It's coated with two or three layers of kiln wash before each use. If it breaks I just make another..
Using the bead islands, allows me to form the bead from Egyptian paste, place it onto the tip of one of these peaks to dry and fire with
out ever having to touch it directly. Handling Egyptian paste after it dries would damage glaze that forms on the bead as it dries.

For smaller hole beads nichrome wire is used in my islands.



Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Evelyne said...

Hi,
I know it's a pretty old post but I find your experiences with egyptian paste very interesting. I'm a beginner with ceramic but egyptian paste fascinates me.
One question : Don't beads fuse with the beads island? Is kiln wash sufficient to prevent adhesion?
(sorry for my strange english, it's not my first language)

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home